NSW COVID-19 RULES
This page should not be used as a replacement for checking the most up-to-date information about the current NSW rules available on the NSW Government website, available by clicking here.
Greater Sydney Area & Regional NSW
Stay-at-home orders currently apply to all of Greater Sydney and Regional NSW.
Changes have been recently implemented by the NSW Government.
- Regional NSW’s lockdown will be extended to at least 28 August 2021.
- From 12:01 am, Monday, 13 September 2021:
- For those who live outside the LGAs of concern, outdoor gatherings of up to five people (including children) will be allowed in a person’s LGA or within 5km of home.
- For those who live in the LGAs of concern, households with all adults vaccinated will be able to gather outdoors for recreation (including picnics) within the existing rules (for one hour only, outside curfew hours and within 5km of home) (This is in addition to the one hour allowed for exercise).
You may not leave your place of residence unless you have a reasonable excuse.
Reasonable excuses include:
- Obtaining food (or other goods or services), if:
- they are for essential household needs; and
- if no other member of the household has already left to obtain essential goods that day;
- they are obtained locally:
- within your Local Government Area (LGA); or
- within 5 km of your residence if outside of your LGA (provided the LGA that you enter is not an area of concern);
- if the essential food, goods, or services cannot be reasonably obtained within these limits, you must travel to the closest place they are available.
- For essential work, if:
- it is not reasonably practicable to work at home; and/or
- you are required to visit another person’s place of residence for your employment; and
- the business is allowed to be open.
- Accessing childcare.
- Education if it is not possible to do so via online learning.
- Exercise or outdoor recreation if:
- you remain within your LGA (Local Government Area); or
- you remain within 5 km of your home if outside of your Local Government Area.
- Note that outdoor recreation is not permitted if you are within an area of concern unless you are supervising the exercise or play of a child 12 years of age or under.
- Obtaining medical/health supplies (including the COVID-19 vaccination).
- Attending a funeral with a maximum of 10 people if:
- the service is within Greater Sydney (if you reside in Greater Sydney); or
- the service is within regional NSW (if you reside in regional NSW); or
- if you are the spouse, de facto partner, parent, child, or sibling of the deceased person should the service be outside of Greater Sydney (if you reside in Greater Sydney); or
- if you are the spouse, de facto partner, parent, child, or sibling of the deceased person should the service be outside of regional NSW (if you reside in regional NSW).
- Inspecting or moving to a new place of residence.
- If you currently live in Greater Sydney, you may only move outside of Greater Sydney for the purposes of:
- employment, provided you are the only person moving to that residence; or
- urgent maintenance/repairs, provided you are the only person moving to that residence.
- If you currently live in Greater Sydney, you may inspect a new place of residence outside of Greater Sydney:
- provided you have a genuine intention to move to and reside
- Supervising or facilitating the move to a new premises for a business.
- Assisting a person move to or from a new place of residence.
- Providing care or assistance to a vulnerable person or providing emergency assistance.
- Donating blood.
- Undertaking legal obligations.
- Accessing public services, including:
- social services;
- employment services;
- domestic violence services;
- mental health services;
- victims services.
- Upholding existing arrangements for children who do not live in the same household as their parents or siblings (or one of their parents or siblings).
- Attending a place of worship or providing pastoral care to another person:
- Applies only to priests, ministers of religion or members of a religious order.
- Avoiding injury, illness, or escaping a risk of harm.
- For emergencies or compassionate reasons (including where 2 people are in a relationship but do not live together).
- To visit the residence of someone who has made you their nominated visitor, provided:
- the individual who has nominated you lives alone; and
- you are not the nominated visitor of another person; and
- you both live in Greater Sydney (or for Regional NSW, if you both live in the same LGA); and
- you do not live in an area of concern.
- Travelling in a private vehicle by yourself, unless:
- the other passenger is a member of your household; or
- your nominated visitor;
- This does not apply if the vehicle is being used:
- to engage in work;
- to provide a public transport service;
- in an emergency or for compassionate reasons;
- for a taxi/rideshare
- If you are over 18 years of age and you have left your home, you must carry evidence showing your address (e.g., drivers licence) and produce it for inspection when requested by police.
You must wear a face mask:
- in all indoor non-residential areas;
- in indoor areas on common property for residential premises, including:
- a shared foyer or lobby of an apartment block;
- lifts, stairwells, and corridors;
- shared laundry facilities.
- on public transport;
- in major recreation facilities (e.g., a stadium);
- if you are working in a hospitality venue;
- when working in both indoor and outdoor areas on construction sites;
- when working in an outdoor area;
- when outdoors next to or near premises selling food or drink or retail premises;
- when in both indoor and outdoor areas of a market that predominantly sells food (e.g., Sydney Markets at Flemington Markets or Sydney Fish Markets);
- when attending a COVID-19 Safe outdoor gathering.
You may remove your face mask where you would be otherwise required to wear it if:
- you are eating or drinking;
- you are engaging in strenuous physical exercise (except in an indoor gym class or dance class);
- you are communicating with another person who is deaf or hard of hearing;
- you are at work and the nature of your employment:
- makes the wearing of a mask a risk to your’s or another’s health and safety; or
- requires clear enunciation and/or the visibility of your mouth.
- you are asked to remove your mask to confirm your identity;
- there is an emergency;
- the removal of your mask is necessary for the proper provision of goods or services;
- you are in a correctional centre or another place of custody;
- you are a patient in a public hospital or private health facility;
- you are a resident of a residential aged care facility;
- you are a student at a school;
- you are working in a school outside of Greater Sydney;
- you are a guest in a hotel, motel, or other accommodation facility and you are inside your own room;
- it is the ceremony of your own wedding;
- you are working alone in your office;
- you are alone in your vehicle, or with another person who is:
- a member of your household; or
- your nominated visitor.
Rules requiring the wearing of face masks do not apply if:
- you are 12 years of age or under; or
- you suffer from a physical or mental health condition or disability that makes wearing a face mask unsuitable, including:
- a skin condition;
- an intellectual disability;
- autism; or
- Authorised exemption documentation:
Please refer to the NSW Government website for more information on restrictions for Greater Sydney and Regional NSW.
Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Concern
Additional rules and restrictions apply to the following LGAs:
- Georges River;
- Strathfield; and
- Some suburbs of Penrith, including:
- Caddens, Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Erskine Park, Kemps Creek, Kings Creek, Kingswood, Mount Vernon, North St Marys, Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, St Clair, and St Marys.
Additional Restrictions for LGAs of Concern
Residents of the Areas of Concern are subject to the following changes to the reasonable excuses to leave your home:
- you must obtain your essential household goods/services (e.g., food) from within 5 km of your home:
- if it is not reasonably practicable to do so, you must obtain them from the closest place from your home that they are available within Greater Sydney;
- you may leave your home for the purposes of work if:
- it is not reasonably practicable to work from home and your workplace is in the same LGA (or, if applicable, the 12 suburbs listed in the Penrith LGA) you reside in; or
- you are an authorised worker and you need to leave your LGA (or, if applicable, the 12 suburbs listed in the Penrith LGA) to work; and
- you comply with all relevant rules for COVID-19 tests for workers in Greater Sydney;
- you may leave your home to exercise or supervise a child aged 12 or under who is exercising or playing within 5km of your home (you may not otherwise leave your home for outdoor recreation).
- you may nominate a visitor to your residence if:
- you live alone; and
- they are not a nominated visitor for another person; and
- they live within 5 km of your home.
- You may exercise with your nominated visitor no further than 5 km of your home.
- See other reasonable excuses to leave your home.
Face Masks Requirements for LGAs of Concern
If you live in an area of concern, you must wear a face mask:
Construction Work in LGAs of Concern
If you are a construction worker within an area of concern, you cannot work on-site unless:
NSW workers in the areas of concern can apply for a $320 payment if they need to self-isolate and are unable to work while waiting for their coronavirus (COVID-19) test result.
Apply for the payment through Service NSW.
Click here for information on other financial assistance options:
Please refer to the NSW Government website for more information on restrictions for areas of concern.
Suburbs included in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of concern in Greater Sydney
Arncliffe, Banksia, Banksmeadow, Bardwell Park, Bardwell Valley, Bexley, Bexley North, Botany, Brighton-Le-Sands, Carlton (part), Daceyville, Dolls Point, Eastgardens, Eastlakes, Hillsdale, Kingsgrove (part), Kogarah (part), Kyeemagh, Mascot, Monterey, Pagewood, Ramsgate (part), Ramsgate Beach, Rockdale, Rosebery (part), Sandringham, Sans Souci (part), Turrella and Wolli Creek.
Acacia Gardens, Angus, Arndell Park, Bidwill, Blackett, Blacktown, Bungarribee, Colebee, Dean Park, Dharruk, Doonside, Eastern Creek, Emerton, Glendenning, Glenwood, Grantham Farm, Hassall Grove, Hebersham, Huntingwood, Kellyville Ridge, Kings Langley, Kings Park, Lalor Park, Lethbridge Park, Marayong, Marsden Park, Melonba, Minchinbury, Mount Druitt, Nirimba Fields, Oakhurst, Parklea, Plumpton, Prospect, Quakers Hill, Richards, Riverstone, Ropes Crossing, Rooty Hill, Rouse Hill, Schofields, Seven Hills, Shalvey, Shanes Park, Stanhope Gardens, St Marys, Tallawong, The Ponds, Toongabbie, Tregear, Vineyard, Whalan, Willmot, and Woodcroft.
Burwood, Burwood Heights, Croydon (part), Croydon Park (part), Enfield and Strathfield (part).
Airds, Ambarvale, Bardia, Blair Athol, Blairmount, Bow Bowing, Bradbury, Campbelltown, Claymore, Denham Court, Eagle Vale, Englorie Park, Eschol Park, Gilead, Glen Alpine, Glenfield, Gregory Hills, Holsworthy, Ingleburn, Kearns, Kentlyn, Leumeah, Long Point, Macquarie Fields, Macquarie Links, Menangle Park, Minto, Minto Heights, Mount Annan, Raby, Rosemeadow, Ruse, St Andrews, St Helens Park, Varroville, Wedderburn, Woodbine, and Woronora Dam.
Ashbury, Bankstown, Bass Hill, Belfield, Belmore, Beverly Hills, Birrong, Campsie, Canterbury, Chester Hill, Chullora, Clemton Park, Condell Park, Croydon Park, Earlwood, East Hills, Georges Hall, Greenacre, Hurlstone Park, Kingsgrove, Lakemba, Lansdowne, Milperra, Mount Lewis, Narwee, Padstow, Padstow Heights, Panania, Picnic Point, Potts Hill, Punchbowl, Punchbowl, Revesby, Revesby Heights, Riverwood, Roselands, Sefton, Villawood, Wiley Park, and Yagoona.
Auburn, Berala, Chester Hill, Fairfield, Girraween, Granville, Greystanes, Guildford, Guildford West, Holroyd, Homebush West, Lidcombe, Mays Hill, Merrylands, Merrylands West, Pemulwuy, Pendle Hill, Prospect, Regents Park, Rookwood, Smithfield, South Granville, South Wentworthville, Toongabbie, Wentworthville, Westmead, Woodpark, and Yennora.
Abbotsbury, Bonnyrigg, Bonnyrigg Heights, Bossley Park, Cabramatta, Cabramatta West, Canley Heights, Canley Vale, Carramar, Cecil Park, Edensor Park, Fairfield, Fairfield East, Fairfield Heights, Fairfield West, Greenfield Park, Horsley Park, Lansvale, Mt Pritchard, Old Guildford, Prairiewood, St Johns Park, Smithfield, Villawood, Wakeley, Wetherill Park, and Yennora.
Allawah, Beverley Park, Blakehurst, Carss Park, Connells Point, Hurstville, Hurstville Grove, Kogarah, Kogarah Bay, Lugarno, Mortdale, Oatley, Peakhurst, Peakhurst Heights, Penshurst, and South Hurstville.
Anzac Village, Ashcroft, Austral, Badgerys Creek, Bringelly, Busby, Carnes Hill, Cartwright, Casula, Casula Mall Shopping Centre, Cecil Hills, Cecil Park, Chatham Village, Chipping Norton, Cross Roads, Denham Court, Edmondson, Edmondson Park, Green Valley, Greendale, Greenway Park, Hammondville, Hammondville East, Hargrave Park, Heckenberg, Hillview, Hinchinbrook, Holsworthy, Horningsea Park, Hoxton Park, Ingleburn, Ingleburn Military Camp, Ingleburn Village, Kemps Creek, Kookaburra, Leppington, Liverpool, Liverpool Military Camp, Liverpool North, Liverpool South, Liverpool West, Liverpool Westfield, Luddenham, Lurnea, Middleton Grange, Miller, Moorebank, Moorebank Village, Mount Pritchard, Pleasure Point, Prestons, Rossmore, Sadleir, The Cross Roads, Voyager Point, Wallacia, Warwick Farm, Wattle Grove, and West Hoxton.
Beecroft, Camellia, Carlingford, Clyde, Constitution Hill, Dundas, Dundas Valley, Eastwood, Epping, Ermington, Granville, Harris Park, Lidcombe, Mays Hill, Melrose Park, Newington, North Parramatta, North Rocks, Northmead, Oatlands, Old Toongabbie, Parramatta, Pendle Hill, Rosehill, Rydalmere, Silverwater, Sydney Olympic Park, Telopea, Toongabbie, Wentworth Point, Wentworthville, Westmead, and Winston Hills.
Caddens, Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Erskine Park, Kemps Creek, Kingswood, Mt Vernon, North St Marys, Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, St Clair, and St Marys.
Belfield (part), Greenacre (part), Homebush, Homebush West (part), Strathfield (part) and Strathfield South.